Saturday, January 31, 2015

No Such Thing As "Victim"

Happy Saturday, everyone!

[From a Thursday January 29, 2015 experience that is definitely worth sharing!]

So something happens during the course of your day that you don't like... Does that automatically mean that you have to feel bad, angry, upset about it? No. And do you know why? Because you are not its victim. Ever. You are not a button waiting to be pushed by your circumstances. Ever. You always get to choose your experience of anything that happens in your life. Your work is simply to be awake to your default settings and choose deliberately to find a different, better-feeling setting if you don't want to feel bad. Simple. (Excerpt from a bit of self-coaching that morning as my day was pretty full of "something happening that I didn't like".)
That day I was at work at 4:00am and I did not leave until after 6:00pm. It was a LONG day, working straight through those 14 hours to get a big project out the door. I found the above advice to myself useful throughout the day, especially toward the end as I was really, really tired.
And then on my way home, I experienced a um... "vehicular adventure" with my beautiful car. It is not totaled, but it is nicely damaged. Needless to say, if I had not been diligently, deliberately practicing the above all day long, I would have had a very different emotional experience of that incident than I actually did. And the same holds true as I move forward in finding a good body shop and spending the money necessary to get it repaired. In all of that, I get to choose my emotional experience. Always. And I am NEVER a victim, even in those times that it's easier to believe that I am.

And the same is true for all of us.

With much love and a hope for all of you that your "emotional experience" is an awesome one, no matter what's "happening" in your circumstances! :-)
Sandi

PS: I've recently updated my web site. Check it out here if you have an interest.



No comments:

Post a Comment