Sunday, May 15, 2016

I Choose... the Quality



I Choose… the Quality of my Day (and my Life)

Hi All!

As you all have probably figured out by now, I like Facebook, and I spend a lot of time there. I have lots of Facebook friends, some of whom are very positive people and that is why I’ve chosen them to be my friends.

Others of them are people – family and friends – that I’ve loved for a very long time. Some of my loved ones know how to choose the quality of their lives, and they do so consciously and purposefully. I love them. Others know that they have that capacity, but they choose not to use it deliberately because – to be blunt – it’s way easier to live a victim life than it is to do the work of being responsible for their own results. I love them, too.

And then there are a number of my loved ones who simply have not discovered that capacity within themselves yet, and when it feels to them like their life is happening TO them (which is NEVER the case, for any of us), they live at the mercy of that belief, and it feels to them like their life hates them. Not only do I love these people, too, but since I vividly remember what it felt like to live my life that way, I feel deep, deep compassion for them, as well, because I understand that they really do believe that they have no choice in the matter.

It’s an incredibly painful way to live.

This morning the very first post I saw when I logged in to Facebook was this: "The day hasn't even started yet and I'm already wishing it was over."

That sentence took me straight into remembering what it was like to live that way. Hopeless. Powerless. Painful. The feeling was that I was living at the mercy of things that I could never hope to control.

I then went from that memory to the memory of what it felt like when I learned that I am only a victim if I make one of myself. That was when I learned that my "day" does not feel good or bad. My "day" does not care one bit what I think of it or how I feel about it. It just IS. It's my thoughts ABOUT my day that cause the feelings that determine the quality of my day.

Which means what? It means that I have COMPLETE control of what my day feels like to me, and I am NEVER a victim of it.

It is my sincere wish for the young man that posted that sentence that he – sooner rather than later – makes the discovery for himself that he is the only person on the planet who can control the quality of his day, because I know from personal experience that when he figures this out for himself, his whole life will change.

I Choose… the Quality

This week I remember that my day has nothing invested in how I experience it. It just IS, and I can deliberately choose the quality of each and every moment.

In the above statement I use the word “deliberately,” very deliberately.

Because here’s the thing: Whether or not I’m doing it deliberately, I am ALWAYS, in each and every moment of my life, choosing the quality of the moment that I am living. Choosing the quality of my moments is what creates the quality of my day. And my life.

Love,
Sandi


1 comment: