Friday, July 19, 2013

New Choices...


"Work with the people who deserve it -
not the people who NEED it."
Jim Rohn

Anybody who knows me knows that I was a victim for the first 34 years of my life. I was abused as a child, and I learned very thoroughly during those years that I was MEANT to be a victim and that I could never be anything else. As a teen and a young adult I desperately, desperately wanted to be loved, while not believing for a second that I was worth loving.  So what kind of men do you think I consistently got involved with? Yep. The ones who had no idea how to love another person in a healthy way.

During those years I got hurt. A lot. And I whined and complained to everyone I knew about how miserable my life was and how much I wished it could be different and better. (Yes, I was very much the Drama Queen.) Every once in a while someone would try to help me, but that never lasted for very long...

And then in 1999 - when I was 34 - I had a thought that I had never had before. And it caught my attention because it was so DIFFERENT from what I was used to thinking. That thought was, "There has GOT to be a better way for me to live than this!" The difference being that any time before that summer that I had a thought like that I would immediate squelch it as an impossible thing. THIS time, though, something in me decided to be willing to believe that it could be possible. I stayed in that willingness to believe for the next several weeks as I actively looked for that "better way" with the willingness - no, the INTENTION - to find it.

And on September 19, 1999 I DID find it, in the form of some tools and principles that I could actively and purposefully apply, right in the midst of whatever unpleasantness was happening (up to and including cowering in a corner protecting my face from a beating). I applied those tools and I changed my life from the inside out.

Now here I am 14 years later, and I've come across the above quote by Jim Rohn and - oh boy - do I get what he means. I NEEDED help all throughout those years. It wasn't until I was willing to do the work for myself, though, that I became DESERVING. People who NEED help...  are completely UNhelpable. It is not until a person is willing to change the way they do AND perceive things that they become "helpable."

I guess I've been going about this all wrong. Well, maybe not ALL wrong. I want to help the people that I can see are living their lives in pain. I guess the ones who DESERVE my help are the ones who are willing to stop complaining about how awful their life is and start making different choices FOR THEMSELVES. Those are the only people that any of my work is ever going to be helpful to anyway. The ones who are saying, "There's GOT to be a better way to do this!" And are willing to believe that "better way" actually exists. And are willing to LIVE that "better way" when it presents itself to them.
(That is really the key...)

So what WAS the "better way" that presented itself to me when I decided to be willing to believe that it existed? I could write a BOOK about that experience!

Oh wait! I HAVE written TWO books about it! LOL

Just kidding! That "better way" is actually the topic of Episode 1 of my new show, which I launched just a little while ago.
 

The link to the recording is just below... Take a listen if you choose to, and be ready to receive some tools that - should you CHOOSE to - you can apply right in the middle of whatever you're experiencing... and change your life for the better, from the inside out.

Love to you all!

Rick and Sandi
www.chooseyouruniverse.com
www.dancingacrossamerica.com
www.stiltogram.com


Here's the link to the recording:

Audio Recording: 'EPISODE1 - Choose Your Universe: In the beginning' From 'Choose Your Universe'


Your comments are very welcome! Let me know what you think! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment